Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Just One Wish: A Review

Goodreads (Description):

Seventeen-year-old Annika Truman knows about the power of positive thinking. With a little brother who has cancer, it's all she ever hears about. And in order to help Jeremy, she will go to the ends of the earth (or at least as far as Hollywood) to help him believe he can survive his upcoming surgery.

But Annika's plan to convince Jeremy that a magic genie will grant him any wish throws her a curveball when he unexpectedly wishes that his television idol would visit him. Annika suddenly finds herself in the desperate predicament of getting access to a hunky star actor and convincing him to come home with her. Piece of cake, right?

Janette Rallison's proven talent for laugh-out-loud humor, teen romance, and deep-hearted storytelling shines in a novel that will have readers laughing and crying at the same time.



My Review:


So I have read a lot of Janette Rallison's books, and I have to say, she impressed me all over once again. I had the opportunity to see her at the ANWA Conferende too. Not only is she a fantastic author, but a great person too.

Just One Wish is about a girl who wants to give her brother the only thing he has really wished for. To meet Robin Hood from the TV show Teen Robin Hood. So of course, Annika, goes to extremes to make this wish come true.

Annika drags ger best friend, Madison, to California to stalk actor Steve Raleigh, star of Teen Robin Hood. Unfortunately, Annika has to go sneak through numerous security guards, a scene shooting, the writer of the show, and Steve himself.

So, being the quirky and fierce girl she is, Annika challenges Steve to an archery contest and wins. Which opens up for many more problems and adventures to try and get him to see her brother.

Since Annika's six-year-old brother, Jeremy, was diagnosed with cancer, her belief in the goodness of life and God has dwindled. She believes she is being punished in one way, that God no longer hears her prayers. She has even lost all sense of her purpose in life. Making this wish come true for Jeremy is the one thing that is holding her together.

Steve, although seemingly a jerk at first, is the perfect person for Annika. He helps her focus on the better aspects of life. Sure he has his own problems, but he helps Annika see that no matter what happens, it will be okay.

Jeremy. Sheesh. That kid made me cry, and not necessarily because of his cancer. The things he says to Annika are so sweet and kind. Beautiful, even. I love how he also helped Annika accept that things happen for a reason, and that the important thing is to be happy.

I give this a 5 out of 5!

3 comments:

  1. I'm reading a book by this author right now and it is just so much fun! I think I have this in my TBR pile as well. So happy you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book! I think I love it more each time I read it. I know it's not a realistic story, but it's a very funny, sweet, and heartfelt one. Glad you loved it too!! :D

    ReplyDelete