Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Awakening: A Review (Darkest Powers #2)

Goodreads (Description):

My name is Chloe Saunders, and if you had met me a few weeks ago, you probably would have described me as an average teenage girl - someone normal.

Now my life has changed forever and I'm as far away from normal as it gets. A living science experiment - not only can I see ghosts, but I was genetically altered by a sinister organization called the Edison Group. What does that mean? For starters, I'm a teenage necromancer whose powers are out of control: I raise the dead without even trying. Trust me, that is not a power you want to have. Ever.

Now I'm running for my life with three of my supernatural friends - a charming sorcerer, a cynical werewolf, and a disgruntled witch - and we have to find someone who can help us before the Edison Group finds us first. Or die trying.


My Review:


This book started right off from where the last one began, and it started with a tense situation--which caught my attention and I couldn't stop from the minute I started.

Chloe and her friends are the run for their lives. Secrets from the first book have been learned and now they are trying to figure out what exactly has been done to them with the genetic engineering and how they can escape the Edison Group. Vague, I know, but I don't want to give any spoilers (although, the description kind of does).

Still, I liked this book more than the first one. Granted, the first book was still good, but it was mainly setting the stage for this book. So much happens to Chloe and her friend and it's pretty face paced. Friends are made, love begins to bloom, and I am so very much in love with Derek...

Once again we get to see how despite Chloe's mistakes and the sucky situations she's put through, she does her best to help her friends, even though Derek is kind of a punk sometimes. I like how even when she hates someone, like Tori (who I also hate), she recognizes they're still on the same side and helps them.

And let me just add this. I like how Chloe isn't in love with her power. So often we see MCs who just accept their powers, but Chloe is actually terrified of her ability to raise the dead. She does what she can to control it, but she doesn't truly rely on her power, but on her wit and her friends. I just think that's awesome.

I give this a 4.5 out of 5!


No comments:

Post a Comment