Wednesday, January 4, 2017

A Monster Calls: A Review

Description (Goodreads):

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn’t the monster Conor’s been expecting. He’s been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he’s had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming…

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.


My Review:

So, just like when I read Me Before You, it was the movie trailer that got me to read this book. I saw Liam Neeson talking about this new movie he was going to be in, watched it, saw that it was a book, and I went and bought the book.

And man, was that the good decision.

Although, I will say that this is not what I thought it was going to be. I thought it was going to be more of a fantasy based book, but nope. It's about a boy whose mother is going through cancer and how he is handling her getting sicker and sicker.

This definitely has more of a psychological aspect to it than I ever thought before.

Patrick Ness is a beautiful writer. One of the huge reasons why I fell in love with this book is because of the way it's written. The words, the story. Beautiful.

Jim Kay is an amazing artist. The way the pictures flowed with the story made it so much more real.

The beauty in this story comes from Conor learning what it means to live when everything is falling apart around you and how it's okay to let go of the pain.

I just...everyone should read this book.

I hope the movie does it justice.

5 out of 5!

No comments:

Post a Comment