Wednesday, July 1, 2015

The Warlock: A Review

Goodreads (Description):

In the fifth installment of this bestselling series, the twins of prophesy have been divided, and the end is finally beginning.

With Scatty, Joan of Arc, Saint Germain, Palamedes, and Shakespeare all in Danu Talis, Sophie is on her own with the ever-weakening Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel. She must depend on Niten to help her find an immortal to teach her Earth Magic. The surprise is that she will find her teacher in the most ordinary of places.


My Review:

Holy crap. Can I say cliffhanger? Okay, so it wasn’t really that bad, it was just a HUGE revealing that I did NOT expect.

Althouh, now that I think about it I shouldn’t be surprised. It makes sense … but wow. It was crazy.

Sophie Newman is my new favorite. I mean, I always liked her, but even though she is confused about who to trust, she still knows how to do what’s right. She follows her heart, her gut. Her humanity is still intact, and she will do anything and everything to get her brother back. I like how she isn’t as easily swayed as Josh. Her inner strength will definitely be needed in the next and final book of this series.

Josh Newman is really getting on my nerves. Well, I sort of feel bad for the kid too. He is manipulated to the point where he is so unsure of what’s right and wrong, he is only acting on impulse. And his impulses aren’t good. It’s sort of heartbreaking what he does, especially to see the pain it causes others …

There are so many secondary characters now, I don’t really know how to write about them without writing pages. So let me say this:

Scathach continues to be awesome. Joan of Arc is way cooler than ever before. I’m actually starting to like Saint-Germain. Prometheus is super cool. Palamedes is freaking awesome. The Hook Handed Man is flipping epic—I would want him on my team any day. Shakespeare is far more entertaining in the modern world. I really appreciated the Norse Mythology references in here—I’ve sort of had a thing for Norse Mythology since the Thor movies came out (side note, Rick Ridorian is totally writing a series with Norse mythology!! Whoop!) But! Seeing Odin and Hel work together in this series was fantastic. Scott is a brilliant genius. The amount of mythology and folklore he incorporates in this series without making it sound like a textbook is incredible! I love it!

This is a wonderful series. I absolutely love it. And, the books just keep getting better as you go. I am so excited to read the final ending!

I give this a 5 out of 5!


1 comment:

  1. You're really making me tempted to try this series!!! You're reviews have been so great for these.

    ReplyDelete