Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Gifts of Imperfection: A Review

Descriptions (Goodreads):

Each day we face a barrage of images and messages from society and the media telling us who, what, and how we should be. We are led to believe that if we could only look perfect and lead perfect lives, we'd no longer feel inadequate. So most of us perform, please, and perfect, all the while thinking, What if I can't keep all of these balls in the air? Why isn't everyone else working harder and living up to my expectations? What will people think if I fail or give up? When can I stop proving myself?

In The Gifts of Imperfection, Brené Brown, PhD, a leading expert on shame, authenticity and belonging, shares what she's learned from a decade of research on the power of Wholehearted Living--a way of engaging with the world from a place of worthiness.

In her ten guideposts, Brown engages our minds, hearts, and spirits as she explores how we can cultivate the courage, compassion, and connection to wake up in the morning and think, No matter what gets done and how much is left undone, I am enough, and to go to bed at night thinking, Yes, I am sometimes afraid, but I am also brave. And, yes, I am imperfect and vulnerable, but that doesn't change the truth that I am worthy of love and belonging.
My Review:

I am not usually one to read self-help books, but this one was recommended to me and I rather liked it. This book teaches us how we need to let go of the person we think we are supposed to be, and become the person we are actually meant to be.

There are steps through out the book that teach how to let go of the small things and understand that through connection and letting go we can become happier. She talks about embracing ourselves as we are and to stop berating ourselves for being imperfect. Brown uses a lot of her own stories and experiences, which made me connect with her and want to read further.

Honestly, it was a really good book and Brown has great guideposts to how to live a happier life--they've certainly helped me look at things with a different perspective. I originally watched her Ted Talks and then found out she had written some books through a friend. I'm currently reading her book, Rising Strong, and I also rather enjoy it.

I give this a 5 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment