Thursday, January 15, 2015

Heir of Fire: A Review

Goodreads (description):

Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?
My Review:

Holy crap! Holy crap! Holy mother of pearl, I need the next book to come out NOW!!!!

I know this is the third book in the series, but I think it is my favorite. This concept is weird for me, because usually the first book always is my favorite.

But man, this book far surpassed the first two.

Heir of Fire was literally explosive. I could not put it down!

I will not spoil anything, but ah! The truth is out. A truth I SO called, but was excited to learn about anyways. Now that Celaena's biggest secret is out, the whole world is going to burn.

I can't even put into words how awesome I thought this book was.

Rowan became my favorite character in this novel. Yes, in the beginning he is a jerk, but I knew he had a heart. He was a fierce warrior, ready to stand up for what was right despite of his blood oath. He did everything that was in his power to help the demi-fey around him, along with Celaena.

And gosh, seeing how broken Celaena was in this one was kind of heart breaking. And yet, this novel is where I felt Celaena has grown the most. Here is where she finally begins to accept a part of herself that she has buried so deep down inside her that it's painful for her to retrieve. Yes, she has done bad things, killed a lot of people and some of them innocent. And yet, she has a heart. She wants to the right thing. As she deals with a lot of her past in this one, she FINALLY stops running from it.

It was when she finally accepted what she had to do that I felt Celaena had truly grown-up. She's nineteen in this one, and has seen and done more than many of us ever will or had done by that age, but she was still a lonely, broken, orphaned child. Until now. Now she is the power that will save lives and rebuild kingdoms. Now, I believe that she truly can stand up against the King of Adarlan.

There are several other characters introduced in this book, and can I just say that the witches are creepy. Really... just scary individuals. Although, I believe that Manon might actually have a heart, despite her upbringing. I don't like her, but I'm beginning to think that she may turn the tide in the battle that is to come.

I also was really surprised about Dorian's new love interest. I didn't see that coming. Maybe because I really liked the idea of him and Celaena together, but once Rowan entered the picture, my mind began to change. Anyway, I was happy that he found someone else.... I won't say more on the subject.

As for Chaol. I didn't really know what to think of him in this one. He seemed so... depressed. And I can understand why. His life pretty much sucks. What I still love about him though, is his loyalty. He remained strong and finally began doing the right thing. I hope that he survives in the next books. He dang sure better. I still like him, which means he's not allowed to die.

This book had a lot more language in it than the first two. Other than that, there wasn't anything else I considered unclean. If you don't like violence, these may not be the books for you. The descriptions can get graphic. I didn't mind them, but there's a warning.

I give this a 4.5 out of 5!

4 comments:

  1. It did break my heart to see her so defeated which I think is why I fell in love with Rowan so much. I love how he pulled her out of it in his own way that was best for her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got to get around to reading this one. I had it scheduled back in the Fall and it got bumped. I need to read it now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this one staring at me from my shelf since its release and I still haven't read it! It's one I'm planning on reading very soon. Too bad on the extra language. Otherwise, I should love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. UGH! You are reading WAY more than me right now...stop it. They are also alllll books I must read like NOW :).

    ReplyDelete